Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Bad Weather Means More Time for New Fun

February 5, 2014

Today my mom is 91 years young!  I've talked to her a coupla times today - once to attempt to sing Happy Birthday to her and once to hear her cry tears of joy as she shared all the 'attention' she wasn't used to getting.  She's received lots of cards, new pants, a clock, flowers, pictures and calls.  She is feeling very blessed right now and fortunately, has made the decision to stay at her apartment and get the house and stuff ready for an estate sale.  I sure hope I not only live to 91 but look this good!  Happy birthday to the best mom ever. 

So the weather hasn't been too great, but nothing in comparison to the North.  Lots of wind and cloudiness coupled with cool temps.  When I was complaining about the high winds when walking the beach today, daughter Kim, said, "enjoy the fresh, non-freeze-your snot-in-your-nose air!"  You see, it's really all relative.  I thought it was gale-force at 40 mph, but again it's all relative.

So the last few days have been interesting and we've done some new things.  The RV park held a style show with beachy, vacation/resort wear modeled by some of the ladies at the park.  Wine and snacks were served ---wine at 1 in the afternoon!  We sandwiched about 50 people into a small room and had lots of fun.  Jodi and I headed out to Corpus for a TJ Maxx fix after the show and of course, a quick stop at Ross For Less - my favorite. 

There is a big cray fish shortage going on, with special concerns due to Mardi Gras just around the corner.  They say it's due to the cool weather (can't call it cold!). 

To my chagrin, dance lessons didn't work out as Gil got a nasty, nose-running cold.  I did laundry and came home and booked tickets to see Alan Jackson at the Corpus Christi American Bank Center on Saturday night.  We're going to dinner first with new friends from Winnipeg and then the show!  I can't wait....he is our favorite.  We'll catch dance lessons next Tuesday.

I've finally used my oven for the first time, baking banana bread and grilled veggies right now.  It really works great!

Since we've been cooped up for a couple days with Gil's cold, we headed out to the DQ last night....the peanut buster parfait is the best!  I've been doing pretty good walking despite the wind and cold.  I figured I really couldn't afford to skip a day after the trip to the DQ!

The photos below show some of our park, the sunset and my favorite beach dog.   The weather changes quickly...one way on the beach it was stormy and on the way back, sunny with beautiful cloud formations.  Tomorrow, we hope to head down to Brownsville for a look-see at South Padre Island.










No comments:

Post a Comment