Friday, January 25, 2013

Padre Island National Seashore and Aransas Wildlife Preserve

January 21 - 23, 2013
Eating warm chocolate chip cookies as I update the blog!  We've eaten fresh Pompano, learned that bananas in coleslaw are the best ever (from my friend Joan), taken hour long walks on the beach enjoying magnificant sunsets and sunrises.  We've done laundry and met (believe it or not!) people from Nevis, MN where our cabin in located!  We drove the National Seashore coast for  21 miles down and 21 miles back passing the 'small shell beach' and the not able to venture far on the 'big shell beach' because the sand was too deep!  We've washed our rig and car (a two hour job!), and watched for the big bunnies with huge ears (haven't seen them yet!).

We ate all the fresh fried shrimp we could eat for  $12.99 at Kody's along with a bizillion other winter Texans!  Nummmy!

Gil ordered a hyperteck programmer for the Denali that should improve the mileage 10 - 15%.  When we checked to see what time UPS came, they said, "humm, don't know....island time yal'll know".
Today we traveled to the Aransas Wildlife Refuge where the whooping cranes from Canada winter.  They were almost extinct and down to 15 in North American in the late 40's.  Today there are about 250 in NA.  We've seen a huge (like maybe 60) snow geese flying, waiting to land on the bay in Port Lavoca....an amazing sight to see.

The wildlife and birds are unbelievable in this area!  We saw a family of wild hogs (really creepy and scary looking dudes) crossing the estuary at the park.  A historical moment today was we went to Port Lavoca where my dad spent some time when he was stationed at Foster Air Force Base during World War II.  Then we traveled back to Victoria, TX where I was born so I could see the hospital.  I must admit I had some strong emotions when I stood in the hospital where I was born 67 years ago.  It's a huge medical complex now and I spoke with a Dr. who also was born in the Detar Memorial hospital about the same time. One of these doctor's below is the Dr. Detar that delivered me!  It's been fun sharing our travels with my parents as they remember all these long ago memories.  I don't think they have been back since the 40's so it's fun to have my dad share experiences he remembers.






Today I got my hair cut for an 1/8 of the cost at home!  We continue to meet and enjoy new people from all over including many from MN.  Thanks for being a part of our blog and sharing this adventure with us!  Check out what this white pipe contraption is all about!  It sucks the bait shrimp out of the sand! 

No comments:

Post a Comment