Monday, January 21, 2013

Winter Texans - Our New Home for a Month

Mustang Island, TX  -  January 20, 2013

Yes, we've become Winter Texan's as they call the snowbirds here!  We are loving it!  We took a 2 mile walk on the beach today, danced around Portuguese man-of-war, a dead baby shark and jelly fish.  Today I made sun tea and we grilled for the first time!  The neighbor gave us some fresh Pompano fish to eat and we've met so many people from MN!  It's very weird...it feels like vacation and I keep pinching myself to remind me that I don't have to go back to work. .For those of you working, you know a coupla days before the vacation ends, you start stressing about having to go back to work.  It's a little surreal for me to not be missing work at all!  I do miss my friends and colleagues but love staying in touch by email.

Our trailer is working out terrific and we are loving this RV'ing. There are more activities than we have time for!  A fun fact is in Texas, they consider the beaches, highways so you can only take licensed vehicles on the beach!

January 21, 2013 - We spent a long time today (21 miles each way) on the beach at the Padre Island National Seashore Park.  I collected shells and photographed the beautiful scenery.  It's a magnificant park, filled with lots of birds (probably over 200 here now), shells ranging from the 'small shell beach" area to the 'big shell beach' area.  The tide was in so we had to turn around at mile 21 because the sand was too deep!  Way better than snow too deep especially when it's -15 at home with windchills double that!  All the Minnesota Winter Texan's are really loving the 70 degree temps here as we discuss windchill at home!

I've given up makeup for sunscreen:-)






2 comments:

  1. Did you guys bring a bird book with you? I suppose you have an app for that!
    Laurie

    ReplyDelete
  2. In a few weeks you will have more than birds to watch on Padre Island! Here come the spring breakers! Keep your Binoculars close!

    ReplyDelete