January 14, Eureka Springs - Switchbacks, ridiculously narrow streets, steep hills, curves and a roller coaster road...who picked the historic loop through Eureka Springs???? We barely had time to enjoy the Victorian B and B's and quaintness of this historic town. Basically, nothing was open so we got a break on the crowds and traffic! Wow, what a trip, but the expertise of the driver resulted in a successful trip with no curbs, scrapes or crashes! Way to go Gil! I thought I wanted to learn to drive this rig; I've changed my mind!
We arrived at my long time friend's house in Ft. Smith, AR. We've been friends for over 40+ years! We drove through snow bugs and 14 degree temps to get to her house. Huge churches with high steeples reminded us religion is alive and well in the South! Joan welcomed us to a beautiful home, still decorated for Christmas, live tree and all. Joan's daughter, Jill and husband, Will came over after a great dinner. She was 9 or 10 when I last saw her! What a fun catch up with a super good meal! Fortunately, we were able to park in her drive way after unhooking and didn't wipe out the house eve! After a great breakfast, we headed out around noon today.
The only wild life we have seen so far is 2 deer and lots of hawks. We traveled through the beautiful Quachita National forest and mountains today crossing between Arkansas and Oklahoma and finally Texas. I understand we need to watch for armadillos in TX. We arrived in Texarkana, TX around 5:00 and checked into a great campground for $27/night. For the first time, my Apple GPS failed us and we were routed through a rather sketchy neighborhood with very narrow streets. We seem to be a magnet for narrow streets and at 52 ft. long it's an adventure! I almost left Hoppy on Joan's Christmas tree!!!
We had great corn and potato chowder with a fresh salad with bread and wine (with glass glasses!) . Nummy! We are working hard to lose weight! Thanks for dinner Kimmie.. the soup was fabulous!
Below is some green grass for my MN friends and family! A welcome sight along with much warmer temps! Thanks for following our adventure! We will head to Corpus Christi and the ocean tomorrow.
No comments:
Post a Comment