Sunday, March 3, 2013

PICKLEBALL and Good Buddies at Palm Desert RV Park

This is a super fun game, which is somewhat like a combination of tennis and ping pong. It's played on a small tennis-type court with a net and a paddle which is a little larger than a ping-pong paddle. There are more pickleball courts in the RV park than anywhere else in the US. A big championship play starts here tomorrow. We had our first lesson and loved it....it was 2 hours long!   Believe it or not, the game  started in Washington state and they had a dog retrieving the whiffle-type ball.  His name was 'Pickle' hence,  the game is named pickleball. We will continue to learn this game and hopefully get beyond our beginner 2.0 rating!  I must add the next day I could hardly walk I was so sore.  Need to keep working on getting in better shape for sure.

Lorie and I went shopping to the mall across the highway and that was fun.  I hadn't been shopping for a while for a couple of reasons - one, I don't need anything and two, we don't have room for more stuff!  LOL.  Fun to look anyway!

There are lots of happy hours here and friendship. Willie, Gil and I have probably met every dog who is here.  I've also learned 'downsizing' has a new meaning in trailer life vs. corporate life.  I am always downsizing food and fruit to smaller containers as the space is limited in the fridge.  The high on Saturday was 85!  I know most of you hate to hear it but it was hot!  We loved it and even had to turn on the AC in the afternoon sun.

We went to the antique car show at the park and fell in love all over again with my '65 Mustang.  What a dream car.  It was lots of fun to remininse to the sounds of the live band playing the 60's music.  Funny we know all the words to these songs:-)

Happy birthday to our son in law, Dan.  Yes, we've got lots of family birthday's this month!  Hope you have a great year Dan!

Lorie and Harold are coming for dinner Sunday night so I made a 'Buttermilk Chess Pie' that my niece served at Christmas.  It's really easy and super nummy. It took a long time to find the recipe on the web but friend Jodi told me it was Buttermilk CHESS pie.   We tasted the final product, and thought it wasn't quite right but we'll see.

On Sunday morning, I opened the microwave and found the 1/2 cup of butter that was supposed to go in the pie!  YIKES, no wonder it tasted off!  Tossed that in the garbage! We headed to the Mesa Swap Meet about  40 miles away in Mesa.  What an event that turned out to be!   Hundreds of vendors with just about everything for sale you could imagine.  The funniest part was the BBQ grill sheets we thought we got such a bargain for in Corpus Christi for  $17 were $7.99!  LOL. Bought a few must have's and walked for a long time checking things out and then trying to find our car.  We tried to go to the Paradise Bakery (which is kinda like Panera but with way better warm cookies!) but the wait to place your order was over 30 minutes.  It sure seems the economy is strong and well in Arizona.

Lorie and Harold came for dinner tonight. It was our first official entertaining in our rig.  They brought us the best gift....check out this wine bottle.  It matches my shirt and mug!  Aren't they the cleveriest? Very lucky to have such great friends!  It's spring on the desert!  Hoping the snow storms will end soon for our family and friends in the North! 












No comments:

Post a Comment